> On Aug 7, 2017, at 5:47 PM, Gary Boye <boy...@appstate.edu> wrote:
>
> Lute List members, Help!
>   I've been asked to play on some Lully excerpts from Le Bourgeois
>   Gentilhomme in early October. I have a theorbo, lute, Baroque guitar .
>   . . no problem. But the conductor wants to do it A440. All of my
>   instruments are strung for A430 (and one A415).
>   My initial response is to say no, but I want to encourage some early
>   music performance here, so my only options would appear to be:
>   1) Re-string an instrument for A440 ($$$!)
>   2) Try some type of capo (OK for guitar, less so on theorbo)
>   3) Try to finger it at F#m or Fm and stay tuned low
>   4) Tune high and risk it (!)

Unless your instrument is really cranked at 430, tuning it up to 440 shouldn’t
be much of a risk.  I’d say the chance of it exploding, killing you and
everyone within ten feet of you, is less than 50%.  I’d think the only reason
to have a lute-family instrument at 430 is to facilitate playing at both 415
and 440 without a major change in tension.

If you have a theorbo in A at 415, try tuning it down and playing it as an
instrument in G.

>   5) Try to convince them to play at A430 (seems doubtful)

Indeed, impossible, if there are woodwind instruments.