Dear Howard,

thank you very much for all these previous informations! (I didn't know
at all about the database, what a shame)

I was hoping to read a couple of personal opinions from our lutemaking
friends, but most probably everybody is still on vacation...

I agree that the definition of theorbo and / or chitarrone is a very
complex one, with a lot of different instruments (all double fretted
courses, all single fretted courses, etc.) and of course the variations
caused by very low (Rome, for instance) or very high pitches (Venezia).

..and instruments like the Roman archlutes where the local low picth
made the fretted string length comparably longer than (for instance)
Venitian archlutes, making them possibly looking similar to "short"
theorbos.

In any case, not really liking most of our recent "solutions" (1m long
theorbos, for instance) - I'm curious about this size issue, which must
have been a relevant one even back then, I suspect (as travelling on a
"carrozza" with a 2m long instrument is deinitely not like carrying a
violin or a recorder).

Best wishes,

Luca