OK, maybe it's late for me to be getting into this discussion. But I just
tried to play with the new LyX (now that I can compile it) and realized how
annoying it was not to have the math bindings any more.

I'll also note that noone created the layout.bind that Lars suggested, so
the paragraph layout stuff isn't there any more. Nor are the character
changing commands.

Lars seems to be saying that if something isn't in the menu, it shouldn't
have an Alt- keyboard shortcut. I disagree. I want *all* of my shortcuts to
be Alt. Why? Because it's *much* easier to remember that way! Especially if
you're talking about something like "M-m (". Am I supposed to remember which
math commands are in the menu (frac, exp, sqrt...) are in the menu and
therefore start with Alt, and which are not and therefore start with Ctrl?
That seems arbitrary and kind of annoying. Especially since the only thing I
ever use the math menu for is opening the math panel.

It's important to think of ease of use for new users, but what about
experienced users? Many of them won't want to use the menus most of the
time.

-Amir