On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 1:02 AM, racoon <xraco...@gmx.de> wrote:

>> However, since there are clear benefits of an inverted cursor (think
> about the poor person with red cursor who happens to land in an inset that
> has a red background by default, like insets of modules not available on
> her system), there should at least be an option in the prefs then. If you
> are against making this optional I think the only sensible default is an
> inverted cursor.

He or she brought this on themselves and must live with the consequence.
Red may become blue when they've figured out their mistake.  Or, they just
don't use red backgrounds. Please be wary of saving users from themselves
with no recourse especially when sensible defaults are provided.

> I know no applications where you can set the cursor color.

Two immediately spring to mind: OSX Terminal & cross-platform Vim.

Certainly, the users can get themselves into trouble when they change
highlighting to conflict with normal text entry and now things have
disappeared.  However, they've made it their own and no developer should
fault them for it.  If it doesn't work, they can change it to something
else.  Interestingly, a cottage industry as sprung up around providing
color schemes for terminal applications and Vim.

- Joel

P.S. It's interesting that my two most relied-upon applications are named
with three letters.