On 23.10.2016 16:55, Joel Kulesza wrote:
On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 8:39 AM, racoon <xraco...@gmx.de
<mailto:xraco...@gmx.de>> wrote:

    I guess these are very limited applications as to the changes that
    occur background color wise during usage.

I disagree: one can both select text (highlighting it to operate on it)
and highlight the text (e.g., through syntax highlighting).  In
particular, Vim can look like a veritable Christmas tree with different
colors everywhere.  However, this is all up to user preferences.  The
defaults are quite sane.

Speaking of highlighting: is there a way to highlight text in LyX (e.g.,
\hl{...} via soul) without ERT?  I can change its color, but not its
background...

The PDF Comments module's (Document > Settings > Modules) PDF Markup (Insert > Custom Inset) might help (Help > Specific Manuals > PDF comments).

    Every user interface provides certain default that can't be changed
    by the user because the user might not (and does not want to)
    consider all the consequences. However, I personally have no problem
    with having a preference for inverted cursor in general.

True, but I think that (a) the option is there in LyX already so it
should be preserved and (b) part of open source philosophy is freedom to
choose ... which may extend down to cursor color.

    OSX is no application. ;) I know you mean LyX of course.

Aye.  I'm able and willing to work on all three major OSs, but choose
OSX.  However, I very quickly install LyX and Vim no matter where I am
if I will be there for any length of time.