On 2017-02-17, Scott Kostyshak wrote:

> [-- Type: text/plain, Encoding: quoted-printable --]

> On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 11:54:28AM +0100, Kornel Benko wrote:
>> Affected files:
>>      lib/templates/fr_beamer-conference-ornate-20min.lyx
>>      lib/examples/beamerlyxexample1.lyx

>> The errors are with xelatex and lualatex the same. It does not depend
>> on tex or non-tex font setting.

>>      ! Class beamer Error: Overprints may not overlap.
>>      Desc: Class beamer Error: Overprints may not overlap.
>>      Text:  \end{frame}

>>      This error message was generated by an \errmessage
>>      command, so I can't give any explicit help.
>>      Pretend that you're Hercule Poirot: Examine all clues,
>>      and deduce the truth by order and method.

>> The created pdf looks OK though.

Beamer is one of the most complex document classes, so it is hard to tell
what happens here. There may be different settings or graphic-drivers used
for Xe/Lua- vs PdfTeX.

Interestingly, this does not affect all beamer documents.
Looks like you need to bisect to find the reason in the failing documents.

>> Prior to this message I see in latex-log:

>>      LaTeX Font Info:    Font shape `OT1/ptm/bx/n' in size <10.95> not
>> available
>>      (Font)              Font shape `OT1/ptm/b/n' tried instead on input
>> line 54.
>>      LaTeX Font Info:    Font shape `OT1/ptm/bx/n' in size <8> not available
>>      (Font)              Font shape `OT1/ptm/b/n' tried instead on input
>> line 54.
>>      LaTeX Font Info:    Font shape `OT1/ptm/bx/n' in size <6> not available
>>      (Font)              Font shape `OT1/ptm/b/n' tried instead on input
>> line 54.
>>      LaTeX Font Info:    Font shape `T1/lmss/m/it' in size <10.95> not
>> available
>>      (Font)              Font shape `T1/lmss/m/sl' tried instead on input
>> line 54.
>>      LaTeX Font Info:    Font shape `T1/lmss/m/it' in size <8> not available
>>      (Font)              Font shape `T1/lmss/m/sl' tried instead on input
>> line 54.
>>      LaTeX Font Info:    Font shape `T1/lmss/m/it' in size <6> not available
>>      (Font)              Font shape `T1/lmss/m/sl' tried instead on input
>> line 54.
>>      LaTeX Font Info:    Font shape `OT1/ptm/bx/n' in size <5> not available
>>      (Font)              Font shape `OT1/ptm/b/n' tried instead on input
>> line 54.
>>      LaTeX Font Info:    Font shape `T1/lmss/m/it' in size <5> not available

>> Do I miss some font? This is weird, since the standard latex has no
>> problems.

The interesting thing is, that these are all TeX-fonts (maybe used in
mathematics).
However, all these messages are harmless: using b (bold) instead of bx (bold
extended) and sl (slanted) instead of it (italic) is common.

Did you check, whether the same messages are in the log after a pdflatex
export (I assume, yes.)

Are this just info or warning type messages?

> I see the same thing. The commit that caused these tests to fail for me
> was after b863fb0. I just assumed the tests were inverted because they
> work on an up-to-date TeX Live. I have not updated TeX Live recently.

Did b863fb0 invert the tests, remove the inversion or change some other
things?

> Günter, do these tests pass for you? The tests corresponding to the
> failings Kornel mentioned are:

>         3222 - export/examples/beamerlyxexample1_dvi3_texF (Failed)
>         3223 - export/examples/beamerlyxexample1_dvi3_systemF (Failed)
>         3227 - export/examples/beamerlyxexample1_pdf4_texF (Failed)
>         3228 - export/examples/beamerlyxexample1_pdf4_systemF (Failed)
>         3229 - export/examples/beamerlyxexample1_pdf5_texF (Failed)
>         3230 - export/examples/beamerlyxexample1_pdf5_systemF (Failed)

>         6039 - export/templates/fr_beamer-conference-ornate-20min_dvi3_texF
> (Failed)
>         6040 -
> export/templates/fr_beamer-conference-ornate-20min_dvi3_systemF (Failed)
>         6044 - export/templates/fr_beamer-conference-ornate-20min_pdf4_texF
> (Failed)
>         6045 -
> export/templates/fr_beamer-conference-ornate-20min_pdf4_systemF (Failed)
>         6046 - export/templates/fr_beamer-conference-ornate-20min_pdf5_texF
> (Failed)
>         6047 -
> export/templates/fr_beamer-conference-ornate-20min_pdf5_systemF (Failed)

Passes here with somwhat outdated LyX:

  TeXLive from Debian/testing
  LyX 2.3.0dev (2017-01-14)
  Git commit hash fd14b6f5