On 2017-03-18, Enrico Forestieri wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 03:06:09PM +0100, Guillaume Munch wrote:

>> > I think we have to make do with the ugly zero-space inset.

>> Or special/invisible unicode characters could be made visible by changing
>> the character before painting.

> However, this is going to be an issue only when exporting a document
> to previous versions and editing it with that version. So, future
> possible workarounds are not going to help.

> It would not be an issue if that character could be searched for, but
> this is not possible either.

How did you test this?
I could find a text with ZWSP, if I inserted the ZWSP into the search box
from Insert>Special Char>Symbols.
OTOH, copying text with ZWSP from a text editor into LyX failed as well as
copying text with ZWSP form LyX's buffer window into the search box.

> And even fixing this is not going to help
> with previous lyx versions.

True. Therefore, also the "Special character allowbreak" patch will not help
here. It would, however help with documents transformed from 2.1 to 2.3.

Günter