On 30/03/2017 11:11 a.m., Richard Heck wrote:
On 03/29/2017 04:22 AM, Andrew Parsloe wrote:

On 29/03/2017 1:04 p.m., Joel Kulesza wrote:

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 3:28 PM, Andrew Parsloe <apars...@clear.net.nz
<mailto:apars...@clear.net.nz>> wrote:

     The booktabs package produces much cleaner tables than "native"
     LaTeX ones, but I wonder why LyX only "half converts" a LaTeX table
     to formal style? In the attachment LyX produces the middle table
     from the left-hand one, but the right-hand one is what should be
     produced according to the booktabs documentation:

     1. Never, ever use vertical rules.
     2. Never use double rules.
     In the simplest of cases a table begins with a \toprule, has a
     single row of column headings, then a dividing rule called here a
     \midrule; after the columns of data we finish off with a
\bottomrule.

     A user might wonder what the benefits of the Formal Style are when
     faced with the middle table. It takes significantly more space and
     is still fussy with horizontal rules.

     Why not convert according to the scheme:

     1. the initial \hline -> \toprule
     2. the final \hline -> \bottomrule
     3. \hline \hline -> \midrule
     4. any other \hline -> (nothing)

     Andrew

Andrew:

See also tickets for varying degrees of discussion/disposition:

https://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/8360
https://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/9901
https://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/10105
https://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/10106

- Joel

Thank you Joel. I should have searched on trac before spouting. I
fully support the sentiments in 9901, 10105, 10106.

It might be worth a meta-bug that draws these together.

rh

There is already a tabular meta-bug, #6011, although none of the bugs collected there are about formal tables. It is not clear to me how to add the four that Joel mentions to the Description in the ticket. What is the magic button to click? Is it the Reply button to the right of the Description field? The Preview suggests not.

Andrew

---