On 16 July 2017 at 22:45, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <lasgout...@lyx.org> wrote:

> What I mean is that my absolute priority these days is to have 2.3.0 out.

Fully understood.

> The cleanups I proposed where chosen to have a minimal effect on release
> date. Anything that requires too much thinking is a bit too much for me.
> Currently minted and hyphen are blocking us, and we should work towards
> solving this (even though these are touchy subjects).

I just went through a large chunk of the minted postings and I still don't
have a clear idea about my preference, and I'm therefore not sure what to
write that'd contribute.

I'm generally inclined towards security and backwards compatibility.
Perhaps it's because I experienced a directed attack at a previous
workplace. Or perhaps it's an occupational hazard from previously working
with satellite software as e.g. verification and validation manager. But
even for that SW we took into account if there was a urgent and necessary
need for e.g. intermediate release, assuming we had a realistic plan for
fixing issues in a coming release.

For minted/hyphen, I'm e.g. not clear on the need for the features. The
minted thing seems more optional, whereas the hyphen thing seems like a
blocker. I haven't read the hyphen stuff yet, but my baseline is that I'd
really hate it if I wasn't able to compile documents I wrote a long time
ago.

Security scenarios/threat models for minted could be expanded upon. I mean
that these days it's not just about me creating and editing my own
document, instead authors collaborate and share the documents via e-mail
and Dropbox etc. Theoretically some agency could intercept the document in
transit and inject malicious code that they hope you'll execute on your
computer.  Further, you might not be the direct target and instead its
someone whose computer is on the same network as you. For instance, I've
seen research papers from a swedish defence research institute written in
LaTeX, or perhaps LyX, who knows. But if it was LyX then it could well be
worth it for an adversary (Russia..) to compromise that author's computer.
I'd better stop writing now.

Cheers,
Christian

PS.
Scott, if you see this, let me take the opportunity to praise your work as
release manager -- you're doing an excellent job from what I've read!  It's
a shame you can't just setup a teleconference to discuss the issues.

Jean-Marc, in the best of all worlds there'd be a developer meeting planned
for the near future where these things could've been discussed face to
face.