On 18 July 2017 at 23:49, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <lasgout...@lyx.org> wrote:

> Le 18/07/2017 à 23:42, Christian Ridderström a écrit :
>
>> I think the default should be secure, and that the user should have to do
>> something actively to go into a dangerous mode.
>>

> Well, since you consider that turning off two options is not active
> enough, I am not sure what to propose :)

The problem I see with only unchecking two check boxes are e.g.:
- Users uncheck settings all the time, it doesn't seem very "scary"
- In the settings dialog, the real implications of unchecking these options
  did not seem sufficiently clear to me.
  So calling it "Allow yourself to be shot in the foot by converters" would
help;-)
- The setting is persistent, and easily forgotten

As an aside, I think that if the user had to launch LyX from a terminal
with a parameter instead of just unchecking, the user would think he's
doing something really advanced/scary. Simply because he's not used to the
terminal.

Why does disabling something like needauth have to be done from within LyX?

If it has to be done from within LyX, then perhaps do some of the things
below to make being in unsafe mode more difficult to forget:
- When unchecking the boxes, display a dialog informing them that they're
going into dangerous territory.
- Show the warning each time LyX is started, forcing the user to
acknowledge it.
  And make it so that user with a single click can reenable needauth.
- Enable a strong/annoying visual indication/reminder that you're unsafe
mode
- Possibly show the dialog each time before building a document

If user does not want all these warnings, he could disable them by
launching LyX with some option like "--do-not-warn-me-about-unsafe-setting".
Instead of having a checkbox for "don't tell me these things again".

> So one question is how much R code or similar you have in typical
>> documents.
>>

> My typical documents are what I do for my data analysis course, where all
> the computation is done when typesetting the file (using Sweave). So, yes,
> I kind of rely on it.

Could you send me (privately) one of your docs with "a lot" of R source?
I'd like to see what it looks like and how much code we're talking about.

/Christian