Original Message
From: Andrew Parsloe
Sent: Donnerstag, 18. Februar 2016 02:50
To: Uwe Stöhr; lyx-docs@lists.lyx.org
Subject: Re: Referencing subnumbered equations
> It's possible we are talking about different things Uwe. Extracting the
example from 19.3 in the maths manual and compiling it separately, the
numbering in the pdf is (1), (1a), (1b), equation (1) being what you
mean by the outer equation (I assume). In my example documents there is
no outer equation. They are treated equally and so are numbered (1a) and
(1b). And yet I would still like to be able to refer to them
collectively as "the equations (1)". (I can imagine some discussion
like: "The answer to this question is contained in the equations (1). By
substituting from (1b) into (1a), ....")

Yes, I understood you correctly. But the point is still that math.lyx doesn't
try to explain what you do, it only explains the subnumbering.

Besides this I am still wondering why you make it so complicated to reference
1, 1a, 1b. If you need this you can simply use 1, 2, 3. (you don't need
subequations)

Regards Uwe