On 20/02/2016 3:32 p.m., Uwe Stöhr wrote:
However, the question for me is if your method should be part of math.lyx or not. ...

But maybe you find a nice solution in stackexchange. If so, please send me a LyX file how it is done and i will have a look what could be ported to Math.lyx.

many thanks and regards
Uwe

Hullo Uwe,

I thought I would do some serious searching through the AMS documentation. I find amsldoc.pdf in the amsmath document folder in MiKTeX. I confess I've never looked at this before. My eyes light up at two items.

Sec 3.11.3: "A \label command immediately after \begin{subequations} will produce a \ref of the parent number 4.9, not 4.9a.".

And particularly section 3.7, "Alignment building blocks", where they discuss the environments aligned, gathered and alignedat, and give Maxwell's equations as an example. These are exactly the environments I had in mind, and have seen used so often, and was consequently puzzled that AMS (and LyX) didn't seem to provide them. Well, obviously I was wrong about AMS. They do provide them. I will put in an enhancement request that LyX also provide them (if there isn't one already buried somewhere on trac).

Andrew

---