Hi Bernt!

I replied to the general list because I think that your message will
meet a wider audience there.

Le 06/07/2016 13:39, Bernt Lie a écrit :
Hi LyX!

I have a question on the LyX user interface, then some
wishes/questions. (I used FrameMaker 1989-1991, LaTeX/emacs
1992-1994, and Scientific WorkPlace 1994-now.)

*Question*: I use Windows 10 on a Dell XPS 13 inch laptop (owned by
employer). I also own a MS Surface Pro 4 privately.

·Both the Dell and the Surface Pro are **high resolution** laptops.

·The menus/icons in LyX are so small that they are **almost**
unreadable.

·Is there a way to switch to a “large icon/text” mode for the user
interface?

LyX 2.2 on Windows is compatible with Hi-DPI screens. To change the size
of icons you can do that from the contextual menu of the tool bars
(right click).

*Question/Wishes*: I like your (partial) support for /literal
programming/. I used Mathematica ca. 1990-1992, and Maple 1992-2000 –
these have some Notebook features. I have also used Scientific
WorkPlace (first Maple, and then MuPad from 1994-now). I also used
Framemaker 1989-1991, which had some built-in symbolic computation
support. Nowadays, there is more interest in “Freeware” in academia.

·I’m moving into Python etc. + Jupyter (Jupyter notebooks support a
large number of languages, starting with Julia, Python and R, and
expanding).

·Any chance of LyX to allow **import** of Jupyter notebooks? Here,
I’m referring to “static” import?

·Any chance of LyX supporting **live** Jupyter notebooks?

No clue about this one.

*Questions/Wishes:* One of the things I really liked with
FrameMaker, was a good built-in /drawing tool/, which allowed me to
insert math into drawings. The drawing tools were not fancy, but
coverend what I needed. Today, I use MS Visio. I essentially use the
same features as in FrameMaker Draw, but with the addition of Layers.
I make physics/engineering type drawings, e.g. velocity profiles in
pipes, tanks with liquid levels, mixers, etc.

I highly recommend Inkscape with the textext plugin. I hope it is
available on Windows. Textext lets you write latex into your drawing.
Then LyX lets you incorporate the resulting svg and converts it into pdf
flawlessly.

*Final comments*: I tested LyX some 10 years ago, but switched back
to SWP due to its efficient math editor. Some things I hope work
better in LyX are:

(i) smooth scrolling of math, figures, tables,

What do you meant with this?

(ii) easier use of specialized classes/styles for conferences and
journals,

Possible, but still painful depending on how far the class is from a
standard one.

(iii) better support of color, minipages, etc,

LyX has that, but I do not know how it compares. But also, the custom
layout mechanism would let you define your own style and insets, so it
is possible to invest into LyX and adapt it to your own way of doing things.

(iv) better support of program listing, large tables, insertion of
pdf files from other sources, etc.

LyX has all that.

Best Regards,

Guillaume