I recently needed to re-install MiKTeX. I chose the basic package to make the download manageable, but it installs nothing like all the packages that LyX uses. For additional packages I was guided by the packages listed under Help > LaTeX Configuration, and then by the packages listed in the yellow notes at the start of some of the LyX docs. However this is still inadequate for compiling the LyX docs.

dvips is required for the Introduction

There is no note indicating additional required packages at the start of the Additional LyX Features manual, but I found I needed to download

shapepar, lipsum, babel-latin

(The last is certainly "out of left field", presumably required to correctly hyphenate the lorem ipsum nonsense!)

For the Embedded Objects manual there is a yellow note with additional packages listed but I found I needed also

eso-pic, ms, pict2e

For at least one of the manuals (but I didn't note which) I needed zhmetrics (presumably for a font used in one of the manuals), and also graphics-cfg.

Andrew

---