I want to have two enumerate environments, one following directly after the
other, both inside an outer enumerate, as in:

1. intro
   a) bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
      bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla

   b) bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
      bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla

   a) bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
      bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla

   b) bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
      bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla

2. some more stuff

The first set is questions and the second set are the answers. I set the
layout of the first entry in the second set to have a "line above" to provide
some visual separation.

However, Lyx (version 1.0.0) combines the two enumerate environments and
numbers the entries a) b) c) d).

Is there any way to achieve my layout in Lyx, without changing the appearance.
Of course I could put some text between the two enumerate environments, but I
do not want to do that.

This is a valid LaTeX construction. Take for example the file

\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}

\begin{enumerate}
\item intro
  \begin{enumerate}
  \item first block
  \item second block
  \end{enumerate}
  \begin{enumerate}
  \item first answer
  \item second answer
  \end{enumerate}
\end{enumerate}

\end{document}

Running reLyX on it produces

#This file was created by <dma0hgk> Thu Feb 25 12:12:05 1999
#LyX 1.0 (C) 1995-1999 Matthias Ettrich and the LyX Team
\lyxformat 2.15
\textclass article

\layout Enumerate

intro
\begin_deeper
\layout Enumerate

first block
\layout Enumerate

second block
\end_deeper
\begin_deeper
\layout Enumerate

first answer
\layout Enumerate

second answer
\end_deeper
\the_end

It seems that \end_deeper\begin_deeper is removed by Lyx on loading. This is
confirmed by loading and immediately saving this lyx file.

Note that, if I try this construction at the top level there is now need for
\end_deeper\begin_deeper and already reLyX joins the two enumerates.

Is this a known bug, and the developers are planning to do something about it
in a later version, or is it a "feature" which is here to stay?

All the best,
Horst Kausch