I compiled lyx by typing ./configure, then make, then make install in
the root of the source directory structure.

I tried an older kernel (2.0.35) and the exact same problem happened.

When executing "lyx -dbg 3" it tell me:

Reading layouts...
LyXSetStyle: parsing configuration...
LyXTextClassList::Read: unable to find textclass file '~/<unknown path>'
Exiting.
Bye.

I also get a popup telling me to check that the file "textclass.lst" is
installed correctly.

When executing "lyx -sysdir /usr/X11/share/lyx -dbg 3", the program
runs, and I can edit files.  But when I choose file, view dvi from the
menu, I get a popup that says "Error: Could not change to directory:
/tmp/lyx_tmp561aaa/lyx_bufrtmp561aaa" and "Success" on the next line.
that directory does exist, and I do have full permissions on it.
However, it is empty.  That popup occurrs several times, then the
program crashes and tells me I have found a bug in LyX.

Any ideas?

TB

Some code snipped.. .

>From: Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>CC: Travis Bauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: Directory problem
>Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 15:51:57 +0100 (MET)
>

>Could you give some information on how you compiled LyX?
>
>Travis> When I run "lyx" from a terminal window, I get a popup window
>Travis> that sayes it cannot find some .lst file (textclass.lst?).
>
>You can try to run 'lyx -dbg 2' to see in which directory LyX is
>looking for its files.

 It might be an interference with