On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I've just started with LyX from level ground zero.  I'have currently
> installed version 0.12.0 and just about to download version 1.0.
>
> I have no previous knowledge of LaTex whatsoever, let alone TeX, but I'd
> very much to start learning (still going through the Tutorial and User's
> Guide).  I've read many people use LyX for every day
> documents, letters, ... whereas they use LaTeX from ascii input for heavier,
> perhaps personalized documents (others even TeX).
>
> The problem I'm finding right now is when I make a .lyx document and then
> choose to view it as .dvi or .ps.  I can't see the entire document, parts of
> them just don't show up (in .dvi nor in .ps).  That's mainly happening with
> a page set with numbered sections and subsections;  I can see up until part
> of a numbered line.  Then go to the next page and the text starts somewhere
> in the middle.  Any idea why this may be occuring?

Probably ( I'm not certain but I had similar problems ) you have not got
the configuration file for dvips  set up correctly for a4 paper size.
Installation is supposed to do this automatically but if, like me, you
don't realise exactly what is going on during installation, it is only too
easy to just take the American default  ...

On my system ( Debian, I don't know about others ) it's:-

/usr/lib/texmf/dvips/config/config.ps

( Although it has a '.ps' extension it is _not_ a postscript file,
   open it with an ordinary text editor )

Make sure these two lines are mentioned before any other papersize lines.

@ A4size 210mm 297mm
@+ %%PaperSize: A4

You may find the lines, possibly  commented out, further down the file.
move them up so that they are the first paper-size lines.
This makes the a4 paper-size the default.

There is extensive documentation in

/usr/lib/texmf/doc/*

and for the dvips program there is the file

/usr/lib/texmf/doc/programs/dvips.dvi

Print it out ( ~60 pages ) or view it with xdvi or kdvi or what-have-you.
Instructions to set up dvips are in the first few pages.

Persevere with (K)LyX / LaTeX / TeX - they are all wonderful programs.

--
Sincerely etc.,

 Christopher Sawtell - Support Engineer - iOpen Technologies Ltd.
 email - chris @ iopen . co . nz ( anti spam - join it up to use ).
              The Notes for C Programmers
 - The most widely distributed C tutorial in the world -
                  are available from:-
ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/C/tutorials/sawtell_C.tar.gz