On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Staffan Ringbom wrote:
> Here is my list of the pros in LyX I feel important in the argumenation.
> 1. Nice output.
> 2. Lyx allows you to keep the document neat with cross references and
> bibiliographic citations.
>   The float placement is also smart!
>   LYX HELPS YOU TO KEEP YOUR WRITITNG DISCIPLINIZED! You are likely to
> produce
>   on average a more nice output! ( Although the starting problems might
> be frustrating)
> 3. Smaller file size.

==> Easy to transport/send.

> 4. Compatiblity to the LaTeX world.
> 5. Writing with LyX  is more fun.
> 6. Soon all programs that counts  are compatible with the xml file
> standard,
>    so compatibility with *doc will become less important???

An important topic could be the image manipulation.  ms-word produces
very ugly images prints.  If you try to scale the image on ms-word
could be happen the following:
- The result is ugly
- The image move to any place, but not where you want to put it.
- Sometimes the images is moved to top of the PAGE, whithout
consider top margins.  It's very hard convince it the another
layout.
- If there frames neas to the image, the text moves dirty.

The problem (may be) could be only the format: EPS.  But
it's much better have only EPS format, because is very
powerfull (IMHO) to scale images.

BTW, the figure labeling is poor on ms-word.  When you inserts
new labeling, the numbers can lost the right numbering.

The table manipulation could be frustrating on LyX/LaTeX
(if you compares it with ms-word) but works.  Sometime in
word you choose (accidentally) a row (not table) and change
the size, it's hard to align with the rest (except with undo).

Works with Master files in ms-word it's a pain.  The first
time works fine and you are happy.  According you documento
grows, the manipulation is hard.  The references used are
absolutes and it's a pain change them.

The below things to made a improductive people.

If you want to write only text, with a little manipulation,
ms-word works fine.  If you want a better document, LyX/LaTeX
is better.

--
German Poo Caaman~o
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]