My paragraphs have a habit of running one or two lines over to the next page.
This is especially unfortunate with block quotes, etc. Now, I know that I can
prevent that in specific contexts using \nopagebreak, but is there a more
"global" sollution, such that latex knows its ok if there are more lines than
just one which would run over? Is there some kind of threshold to set?

By the way, I asked a question like this not long ago and I was told about
\nopagebreak. I came back and said it didn't work, to which nobody responded.
It didn't take me long to figure out the difference between toggling TeX and
specifying the LaTeX environment, both of which appear in the document in
"red".