Tuukka> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Marcus Beyer wrote:
>> But yes! AFAIK pslatex uses "times" for math. Why is this not
>> reasonable?

Tuukka> I think also that it might not typeset the ps fonts as
Tuukka> carefully as TeX typesets cm fonts, but you'd better ask
Tuukka> someone else.

The problem is that designing a math font is a very difficult task.
You have to make sure, for example, that any character used as a
subscript of another one looks good and does not overlap, and a lot of
other things... Currently, when using times as main font, you have the
following choices for math fonts:

- mathtimes fonts: the best choice , but you have to pay for them

- mathptm, mathptmx packages: use a clunky virtual math font based on
  times. It is not very nice and moreover still uses normal computer
  modern for some glyphs (thus has the problems you describe)

- normal computer modern: looks too thin for times

- euler fonts: a bit bolder, but not everybody likes them.

- the recently released txfonts: probably a good choice, but
  unfortunately they fail to print on some printers (bug in the ps
  fonts).

If however your problem is only to get small and readable pdf files, a
good solution is to use the Postscript Type1 version of the computer
modern fonts. Usually you can do that by doing

dvips -Pps myfile.dvi -o myfile.ps
ps2pdf myfile.ps

[of course there are some magic flags to add here and there to make
this work...]

This only works if you are using the older OT1 encoding. For people
using the newer T1 encoding, you should either

- buy postscript version of the T1 ec fonts

- use the ae.sty package (almost ec), which will emulate the T1 ec
  fonts with postscript OT1 cm fonts. Then if you want french quotes,
  you will need the aeguill.sty package too.

So, as you can see, things are not _very_ easy.

JMarc