On 18.04.2016 18:15, Kornel Benko wrote:
Am Montag, 18. April 2016 um 17:19:07, schrieb Wolfgang Engelmann
<engelm...@uni-tuebingen.de>
On 18.04.2016 15:42, Helge Hafting wrote:

Den 18. april 2016 15:14, skrev Wolfgang Engelmann:
I have installed the new Lyx 2.2(rc1) thanks to the help of several
people of this list. I wanted to keep the 2.1 version. I have
therefore started the new version by using src/lyx on the command
line (produced by ./configure and make - but omitted the make install
so far).
However, starting the old lyx 2.1 with
  lyx &
gives me
[1] 3613
we@wolfgang-Mr-Whisper-Ultra-SSD-II:/mnt/sdb/we$ Warning: Die
Konfigurationsdatei konnte nicht gelesen werden
Fehler beim Lesen der Konfigurationsdatei preferences.
Bitte prüfen Sie Ihre Installation.

Does the new lyx use some of the resources and what could I do?
Can I change the name of the new Lyx to e.g. Lyx2-2 at this stage
(perhaps while doing make install) and get the resources back again?
The "new" lyx has updated stuff in your .lyx/ directory - the "old"
lyx does not understand and fails.

You can get the old lyx working by removing any new files from .lyx/
that the new lyx has created there,
or removing the entire .lyx directory. (That will also remove your
preferences, so you may have to re-set
anything in tools->preferences as well as any default document->settings.

To avoid this sort of thing, when you compile a test version of LyX:
./configure --with-version-suffix  (as well as any other parameters
you may want)
When you "make install", you will then get lyx-2.2dev which will store
its settings in .lyx-2.2dev/ and there will be no conflict with your
older lyx 2.1

Helge Hafting
Thanks, Helge. I should have thought of this. Wolfgang
You can always use your 'private' user dir to avoid clashes.
# mkdir ~/.lyx2.1
# <path_to_2.1 lyx>/lyx -usedir ~/.lyx2.1

        Kornel
That is probably the easiest way. Thanks, Kornel