On 04/25/2016 06:15 PM, Ryan Nicholl wrote:
> Hello! I have a problem, I need to create a custom class, but I can't
> figure out how to do this using the online documentation. It's rather
> confusing to me...

If you need a completely customized class, then there are two sorts of
things you need to do. The first is at the LaTeX level: You need to
write a class (cls) file, or else at least write a pacakge file (sty)
that provides the additional functionality. I'm afraid there is not much
to say about how to do this other than: You will need to learn a lot of
LaTeX. I personally find the /Guide to LaTeX/ and /LaTeX Companion/
really helpful. Looking at how the basic files that are provided with
LaTeX work is also helpful. In your case, I'd guess that book.cls is
pretty close to what you need. As someone else mentioned, though, the
Koma Script classes are extremely flexible, and it may be that you could
adapt them to your needs. They come with extensive documentation. Look
for the file scrguien.pdf on your computer. Or just look online.

If you can handle the LaTeX part, then you will need a LyX layout file
for the new class. Writing these is less difficult, and you can probably
just adapt the one for book.cls or, if you use Koma Script, for
scrbook.cls. Documentation for this is found in the Customization
manual, chapter 5. People here will be happy to offer help on the LyX
part and, in so far as we can, on the LaTeX part. But not everyone here
is really expert with LaTeX.

Richard

PS It looks as if maybe you are trying to create a collection of
articles. If so, then you might have a look at the combine.cls class.
See these web resources, too:

https://pastcounts.wordpress.com/2010/12/20/how-to-construct-a-collection-of-articles-with-latex/

http://latex-community.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12030

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/110544/book-option-of-the-combine-document-class