This wiki page suggests there will be ("As of LyX 1.6") a module that would
enable both footnotes as endnotes and displayed as usual footnotes, but I
can't seem to find it:  https://wiki.lyx.org/Tips/EndNotes :
"In the 1.6 series, endnotes will be supported by two sorts of layout
modules <https://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/Concepts>. One of them, *foottoend*, just
implements this trick. Another provides direct support for endnotes, in
addition to footnotes."

I'm using LyX 2.1.2 on Debian GNU/Linux.

There is a workaround that keeps me changing the preamble:  I get an error
upon opening a document and trying to generate a PDF: "LaTeX Error: File
'file.ent' not found."  Then If I uncomment a line in the preamble saying,
"\let\footnote=\endnote", and regenerate the PDF, it compiles and displays
(but the footnotes only exist as endnotes).  Then, if I re-comment out that
preamble line, and regenerate the PDF, the footnotes are in both places
without error.  And it continues to work until I close and reopen the
document (when presumably file.ent is removed).

Is there a module that I'm just not seeing, or another simple solution?

Thanks,

  Luke