On Wed, 15 Jun 2016, Rich Shepard wrote:

 The current presentation has several slides with two minipages: the left
one with text and the right one with a figure (see attached). I spend a
lot of time trying to get both centered on the slide without success.
There must be something I'm doing incorrectly despite reading the built-in
beamer manual.

  Let me ask the devs two more specific questions:

  1.  When there are two minipages on a beamer class slide, what are the
actions of the vertical position choices for contents and box?

  2.  How do the vertical positioning choices for one minipage affect the
other's?

  When I search in the beamer presentation help doc within lyx for the term
'minipage' nothing is found. Understanding the behavior of these minipages
is likely to be useful to others as well as myself.

TIA,

Rich