On 06/20/2016 08:01 AM, Kornel Benko wrote:
Am Montag, 20. Juni 2016 um 07:47:12, schrieb Michael Berger <id...@online.de>
Hi  Kornel,
I set PATH as you told me, see: bash_profileKor.png
and also tried as Jürgen told me, see: bash_profileJue.png

Both show exactly the same behavior:

- calling 'tlmgr gui' from a console as user the GUI pops up but with
the buttons disabled
    "You have no permission to change the installation. Run as
administrator..."
OK, that makes sense to me. I installed TL as a user.
        # sudo mkdir /usr/local/texlive
        # sudo chown  .... /usr/local/texlive
        # ./install -gui

That way, I am not forced to be root when calling tlmgr.

and indeed, I could do nothing with the GUI, but

- calling 'tlmgr gui' from a console as administrator returns: 'bash:
tlmgr: command not found'
Yes, because user 'root' has its own PATH.

It seems to me as if the last tiny bit was still missing.
Could it have to do with the last line 'unset USERNAME' ?

Thank you both for your continuing patience!
Michael
        Kornel
Hi Kornel,

I followed your above instructions,
in '.bash_profile' I changed
'PATH=/usr/local/texlive/2016/bin/x86_64-linux:$PATH'
'PATH=/usr/local/texlive/bin/x86_64-linux:$PATH'

After re-login I called 'tlmgr gui' as user and an active GUI popped up.
This command is reproducable.

Observations
- I cannot call tlmgr gui from a root terminal (I think that is OK)
- the installation took more than two hours compared to one hour of previous installations - the file tree has grown and the subfolder '/x86_64-linux' in /user/local/texlive/2016/bin/ has all its files empty (0 B)

I run the installer without removing the old installation. I presume this is the reason for the slow speed, the blown up tree, and the 0 B files. I furthermore reckon these empty files can be removed but will not take any action without receiving your advice as to what and how.

I hope my installation is now functioning as should!?

Cheers and thanks,
Michael