On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 23:15:00 -0400
Scott Kostyshak <skost...@lyx.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 10:57:22PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The following is a script to repeatedly compile a LyX document
> > that's under construction or debugging:

> > #!/bin/sh
> >
> > mainname=ch20
> >
> > flagg=a
> >
> > while [ "$flagg" != "q" ]; do
> >     rm $mainname.tex
> >     rm $mainname.aux
> >     rm $mainname.pdf
> >     rm $mainname.log
> >     rm $mainname.dvi
> >     lyx --export xetex $mainname.lyx
>
> Why not use use the following?
>
>   lyx --export pdf4 $mainname.lyx
>
> It creates a PDF directly so you don't have to manually run xelatex.

Confirmed!

> There are reasons to compile yourself (e.g. to make a substitution)
> but unless you have a reason, LyX is better to use because it knows
> how many times you must run xelatex (if you only run it once, you
> might not have the table of contents, or citations).

Yeah, I knew once upon a time that I have to have multiple invocations
of xelatex.

A big old web search failed to find anything first page for lyx+"pdf4".
Without more documentation I think I'll go with the old standby xelatex
for building books emailed to customers.

But for quick and dirty viewing, I'll indeed use pdf4. Pdf4 is *much*
quicker, especially if one uses multiple calls to xelatex, which one
must if TOC or index. Thanks!

> > Notice that this script uses --export xetex and xelatex. This is so
> > you can compile documents that use non-TeX fonts. There's also a
> > way to do it with LuaTeX, but I don't know it.
>
> If you want a LuaTeX PDF, just use pdf5 for the format.

Confirmed!

Everyone should consider using --export pdf4 or --export pdf5. It would
also be great if people could supply links to authoritative
documentation on these two exports.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2016 featured book: Troubleshooting: Why Bother?
http://www.troubleshooters.com/twb