On 06/30/2016 07:10 PM, Ahmad Abdullah wrote:
This is just a recap and for future reference ( I will include it in the wiki as well). So it seems that I can only check in from Home only after I checkout the last version I checked in at work. Meaning that, if I need to be able to do version control at home on the same file, I must check in all changes I made at work before going home or else I will lose all of them because at home I have to check out the last successfully checked in version before being able to do any version control. Even if I save my changes at work without checking them in, I will lose all of them at home because I have to check out the last successfully checked in version. This is a weird bug in RCS as far as I see.

RCS was a very early VCS, and it has a lot of shortcomings.

Richard

Best Regards,
Ahmad Abdullah

From: ahmad.abdul...@msn.com
To: kor...@lyx.org; lyx-users@lists.lyx.org
Subject: RE: RCS Version Control on Windows
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 22:54:05 +0000

Actually I couldn't wait the whole week to try git. I installed git on my work pc, created a sample LyX file then created a git repo using the git client (the LyX document resides in a folder in my OneDrive and the .git folder repo is within this folder). Once I do this and open the document in LyX, LyX detects the version control. I added few more lines and checked in the new document. I then go back home and installed git to see if I can continue checking in to the document. So I open the document with LyX, add few more lines and then check in and Voila! It works. I even can check out and compare revisions. Note that I don't interact with git anymore after I setup the repo. The limitation of this approach is that you have to set up the git repo before you can do version control on the document but I can live with that. It would be a neat solution, if LyX in future versions ships with git and enable the user to register the document in the background without the user leaving the program to create his own repo (basically a small script that calls git internally without the user having to interact with git directly). Anyway thanks you all so much specially Kornel for your help. I will definitely submit a wiki on that.

Best Regards,
Ahmad Abdullah