On Wed, 6 Jul 2016 16:57:23 -0400
Richard Heck <rgh...@lyx.org> wrote:

> On 07/06/2016 04:45 PM, Robert Alvarez wrote:
> > Epub output  questions appear here periodically.
> >
> > An answer in one thread said that it might appear in version 2.2
> >
> > I looked in the release notes but could not find it.
> >
> > Is epub output in 2.2?
>
> No, it is not. It is possible we will see in in the 2.2.x series.

Robert,

Be careful what you wish for. Even if/when LyX finally has ePub
export, the question is "what quality ePub?" Will it be like the HTML
and Xhtml exports, having all sorts of extraneous CSS styles to do
silly stuff, deprecated stuff like <a name="whatever">, and the like?
Just because something outputs something they call ePub, and it's
decipherable by Calibre's ebook-viewer,  doesn't make it the kind of
ePub you can convert and sell on Amazon, or the kind of ePub that won't
make your readers crazy with anger.

Since about 2008 LyX native format has become more and more "XML like"
without being either valid or well formed XML. If they just made LyX
into valid and well formed XML, creating our own converter, with Python
and Python's XML parser, will become a one person project. And such a
converter will by its very nature be semantic, it won't do stupid stuff
like  having paragraphs all have either "indented" or "unindented"
classes. That's a job for CSS, not for different types of paragraphs.
Converting LyX native format to a valid and well formed XML would make
export to ***ALL*** formats, those known and those yet to be discovered,
easy. And the converters would exist completely outside of LyX and
therefore would be small and modular.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2016 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist