Derek Lamb <derek <at> boulder.swri.edu> writes:

> Instead, I quickly found the Mac page on the Lyx wiki
> (https://wiki.lyx.org/Mac/Mac) and followed the instructions there for "On
> screen quality of included PDF files", namely defining a new converter to use
> the Mac's builtin "sips" function (of which I had not been aware).  Doing
that
> led to the PDF image converting to PNG quite nicely, problem solved.
>
> Thanks again for pointing me down the right path.

You're welcome. You might check the ticket system and, if nobody has already
brought this up, file an enhancement request to modify the configuration
script so that it detects whether you are on a Mac (it may do this already)
and, if so, sets up a PDF (graphics) converter using sips. That seems like a
reasonable thing to do in general.

Cheers,
Paul