Am 21.07.2016 um 03:10 schrieb Dr Dave Forrester <dr.dave.forres...@gmail.com>:

> Dear Lyx Experts,
>
> Thanks very much in advance for your help.
>
> I recently updated Lyx only to find out that I should have updated MacTex
> first. I downloaded the latest MacTex and then found that the Preview Button
> was greyed out. From the Lyx Users Archive, I found out how to access in the
> Preferences, File Handling > File Formats; I selected Latex (pdflatex) in the
> Format drop down box and then found that the option of pdflatex was not
> available in either of the drop down boxes for 'With TeX Fonts' and 'With
> non-tex Fonts'. I saved this page with the result that the Preview button
> became operable, but when I click on it, all I get is a tab in Safari with
> MathHTML, and not the beautiful PDF output that you usually get opened up in
> Preview miraculously before your eyes, as has happened so many times before.
>
> Would greatly appreciate your assistance, as you do need the beautiful
> Preview output to send to the publishers.

You didn’t mention the version numbers of any of your software components.
For now I’ll assume it doesn’t matter.

You have to make sure your TeX installation is found by LyX.

1st thing is to Reconfigure. If this does’t help check the
contents of the PATH-Prefix in LyX-preferences. It should
contain "/Library/TeX/texbin“ for newer MacTeX installations.

If you don’t get further locate the protocol file of your attempt
to reconfigure LyX. It is in your home folder in the hidden folder
"Library/Application Support/LyX-2.2“ and is named „configure.log“.
Please send the contents of this file to the mailing list.

Stephan