On Sat, Sep  3, 2016 at 10:48:57AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Sat, Sep  3, 2016 at 10:39:54AM -0400, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 03, 2016 at 10:26:13AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > Are there any tricks to using LyX with remote X11, beyond using
> > > -graphicssystem native?  That helps, but typing is still very slow, i.e.
> > > one
> > > character change a second.
> >
> > Yes see here:
> > https://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/msg102675.html
> >
> > Do any of those tricks work for you?
>
> Well, the thread suggests ssh compression and the use of the
> graphicssystem option I was already using.  graphicssystem fixes things
> like window scrolling and menus, but it doesn't fix typing speed.

Sorry, I should have reported my version running on Debian Jessie:

        LyX 2.1.2 (2014-09-16)
        Built on Sep 29 2014, 11:07:17
        Configuration
          Host type:                    x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
          Special build flags:          build=release warnings use-enchant
          C++ Compiler:                 g++ (4.9.1)
          C++ Compiler LyX flags:
          C++ Compiler flags:           -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -g -O2
-fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security
          Linker flags:
          Linker user flags:            -Wl,-z,defs -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-z,relro
          Qt 4 Frontend:
              Qt 4 version:             4.8.6
          Packaging:                    posix
          LyX binary dir:               /usr/bin
          LyX files dir:                /usr/share/lyx

I think the crux of the problem is described in this email:

        https://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/msg102676.html

        Unfourtunately QT (unline Java or GTK+) by default doesn't use X11's
        rendering capabilities anymore - instead it rasterizes everything
        itself and sends pre-rasterized image data to the X server.
        For Lyx this means that when typing, QT always sends images back
        instead of just the drawing commands.

        There used to be options to revert back to using X11 drawing commands,
        however I am not up to date in this matter.

It feels like -graphicssystem native has no effect on the rendering of
typing, while it does help almost everything else.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <br...@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us