Den 03. sep. 2016 16:56, skrev Bruce Momjian:
On Sat, Sep  3, 2016 at 10:48:57AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
On Sat, Sep  3, 2016 at 10:39:54AM -0400, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
On Sat, Sep 03, 2016 at 10:26:13AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
Are there any tricks to using LyX with remote X11, beyond using
-graphicssystem native?  That helps, but typing is still very slow, i.e. one
character change a second.
Yes see here:
https://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/msg102675.html

Do any of those tricks work for you?
Well, the thread suggests ssh compression and the use of the
graphicssystem option I was already using.  graphicssystem fixes things
like window scrolling and menus, but it doesn't fix typing speed.
Sorry, I should have reported my version running on Debian Jessie:

        LyX 2.1.2 (2014-09-16)
        Built on Sep 29 2014, 11:07:17
        Configuration
          Host type:                    x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
          Special build flags:          build=release warnings use-enchant
          C++ Compiler:                 g++ (4.9.1)
          C++ Compiler LyX flags:
          C++ Compiler flags:           -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -g -O2
-fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security
          Linker flags:
          Linker user flags:            -Wl,-z,defs -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-z,relro
          Qt 4 Frontend:
              Qt 4 version:             4.8.6
          Packaging:                    posix
          LyX binary dir:               /usr/bin
          LyX files dir:                /usr/share/lyx

I think the crux of the problem is described in this email:

        https://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/msg102676.html

        Unfourtunately QT (unline Java or GTK+) by default doesn't use X11's
        rendering capabilities anymore - instead it rasterizes everything
        itself and sends pre-rasterized image data to the X server.
        For Lyx this means that when typing, QT always sends images back
        instead of just the drawing commands.

        There used to be options to revert back to using X11 drawing commands,
        however I am not up to date in this matter.

It feels like -graphicssystem native has no effect on the rendering of
typing, while it does help almost everything else.

I don't see serious slowdowns. I have done two tests:
1. One ssh hop
ssh -CY from work to home. (Using wifi at work. I have a fiber to my home, but this should be worse than LAN speed anyway.) This machine runs debian, and has LyX 2.1.2 and qt 4.8.6. I can type faster than rendering, but only if I type gibberish. If I type actual words, I cannot out-type LyX. After a while, I managed to get a whole line ahead with gibberish though: lkjsdahf sdlf jkshdalkjf skjladfjh saldf h

2. Two ssh hops
From that machine, I shh -CY again into another machine at home. This one has LyX 2.2.1 and qt5.7 Now I have two ssh hops with encryption+decryption+re-encryption and the added speed drop of going over wifi at the other end too. Still, this feels faster. Not as fast as local LyX, but it is snappy. If I type gibberish as fast as I can, I can maybe get a word or two ahead of LyX, nothing more. With real words, I hardly feel that the connection is remote. So perhaps qt 5.7 is a bit better than 4.8.6?

In both tests, I copied a few pages from the user guide, and typed into the middle of a large paragraph. I used no special parameters to LyX.The window size was perhaps 40% of my screen width.

If I maximize the LyX window, things gets worse for lyx 2.1.2+qt4.8.6. Painfully slow - so don't maximize, but use a small window. LyX 2.2.1 with qt 5.7 is still snappy though, I fail to type "too fast"

Helge Hafting

Helge Hafting