As mentioned in my original post, I want the bullets for the section, subsection and subsubsections to be all different from each other (each level should have its own bullet shape in the table of contents). I tried to put in the Latex Preamble:

\setbeamertemplate{section subsection}[triangle]

or

\setbeamertemplate{section subsection}[circle triangle]

and

\setbeamertemplate{subsection}[triangle]

but evidently this syntax is wrong, since it did not work.

Thanks for the explanation about the Lyx behavior.

Yours,

Ehud