Am 19.10.2016 um 10:30 schrieb Paola Manzini <pm...@st-andrews.ac.uk>:
> YAY!!! it works Stephan, thank you ever so much, you have been so very
> patient, never been so happy to discover that 3+2=5 :-)
> Presumably I would have to repeat the same procedure to create wrappers for
> mathematica and maple?

Yes, this should work in principle. I don’t have these tools - the point is:
you have to wrap the command line utility you can use in terminal.
But care for Kornels advice below.

> e.g.:
> #!/bin/
> sh
>
> /Applications/Mathematica.app/Contents/MacOS/MathKernel "$@„

The first line „#!/bin/sh“ is another ritual were you shouldn’t be
creative :) Don’t break it into multiple lines.

The exec in front of the command line utility is again for efficiency.
The shell process created by LyX to start the CAS utility will be
replaced by the CAS utility instead of creating another child process.

> for mathematica and
> #!/bin/
> sh
>
> /Applications/Maple 18/Maple 18.app/Contents/MacOS/Maple 18 "$@"
>
> Again, a million thanks!
> Paola

You’re welcome.

Am 19.10.2016 um 10:51 schrieb Kornel Benko <kor...@lyx.org>:

> Am Mittwoch, 19. Oktober 2016 um 08:30:53, schrieb Paola Manzini
> <pm...@st-andrews.ac.uk>
>> for mathematica and
>> #!/bin/sh
>> /Applications/Maple 18/Maple 18.app/Contents/MacOS/Maple 18 "$@"
>>

> I don't believe this is possible. At least I'd expect
>       #!/bin/sh
>        "/Applications/Maple 18/Maple 18.app/Contents/MacOS/Maple 18" "$@"
>
>       Kornel

Yes, Kornel, you’re right. The spaces in path name need quotes.
In case of maxima it was not required to quote the path name because
it doesn’t contain spaces.

Regards,
Stephan