On 11/15/2016 09:43 AM, Bernt Lie wrote:

> I use LyX 2.2.1 (currently) on Windows 10.
>

> I have a rather long document (some 600 pages, with 9 chapters +
> several appendices), and want to number Exercises, Problems, Examples,
> Theorems, etc. **independently** and numbered **by the chapter** (or
> appendix) they appear in. Thus, exercises in chapter 6 should be
> numbered Exercise 6.1, Exercise 6.2, etc., while examples in chapter 6
> should be numbered Example 6.1, Example 6.2, etc.
>

> Currently, this doesn’t work. My set-up is:
>
> ·         Document class: Book (Standard Class)
>
> ·         Modules: Theorems (AMS, Numbered by Type)
>

> What else do I need to set?

I assume the problem is that you are not getting the "numbered by
chapter" bit? If so, then maybe the easiest thing to do is use the
internal LaTeX command \@addtoreset in the preamble, thus:
    \@addtoreset{theorem}{chapter}
Now the theorem counter gets reset whenever the chapter counter is reset.

You'll need to do the same thing for any other counters you are using,
and see the theorems-ams-bytype.inc file for the names of the various
counters.

See also: http://www.tex.ac.uk/FAQ-addtoreset.html.

Richard