:

>> On 11/07/2014 10:25 AM, Klaus-Dieter Bauer wrote:
>>
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> Is there a method to share document settings (document class, font size,
>>> ...) across all subdocuments of a project?
>>>
>>> My intention is to be able to compile each file separately (for faster
>>> debugging), with changes to document settings being automatically shared
>>> across all files and explicitly WITHOUT manually changing settings like
>>> \includeonly or commenting-out include statements.
>>>

>> Note that Document> Settings> Child Documents provides a different way to
>> do this. But I understand the desire to compile the documents separately.
>> And that can sort of be done.
>>
>> If you can get the settings right at the start, then you can put them
>> into a sort of template file and use that to start all your documents. But
>> if you need to change something, you'll have to change it manually in each
>> of the sub-documents. The exception is anything you put in the LaTeX
>> preamable. That can be synchronized by putting it all into some common file
>> and then incuding that.
>>
>> Richard
>>
> Since I found manually changing the documents tiresome, I wrote a script
> that extracts, overwrites and copies the header section between lyx files
> and uploaded it to
>
>     https://gist.github.com/kbauer/2282492968f061b94f82

Picking up on my old question again, with a more limited scope: Is there
some feature that allows putting the "local layout" in an external file,
that is local to the current project (e.g. in the same directory as the lyx
file)?

I am recently heavily using the "local layout" feature in my documents.
This does however come with some disadvantages, notably a very limited
internal editor and the need to manually (or with an external script)
synchronize the setting across multiple files of a project. Installing them
as system-wide modules isn't a good solution either, when I want to ensure
that files that were created with an old version of my local-layout will
still compile in the future, let alone on other people's LyX-installation –
or my own in three years.

regards, Klaus