On 11/29/2016 04:34 AM, Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:

Slightly off topic:

I am using Jabref for my lyx work (debian). The version I use (2.10) does not support the medline any more.

I apparently need Java 8 for it -JRE or JDK are offered, which should go in /opt. Which one is recommendable? None is given in synaptic. And how do I unpack the JRE or JDK into /opt? Do I extract it first on my home/download and copy the folder as root into it?

How do I install jabref-3.7? Unpacking it gives me a lot of folders/files, but I can't find a help.

A long discussion is in the following, but it is beyond me:

Wolfgang

Wolfgang,

You might want to look at https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team/+archive/ubuntu/java <https://launchpad.net/%7Ewebupd8team/+archive/ubuntu/java>. If you add their PPA to Synaptic and install their package (which is an updater, not Java itself), it will install Java 8. Moreover, as new versions of Java appear, their package will show up in your usual updates and, when you update it, will automatically install the latest Java. It also takes care of various configuration nonsense, such as setting the latest Java as the preferred version, that otherwise can be a PITA.

Cheers,
Paul