I had a similar problem this morning again. Here's what I think is an
example of where LyX doesn't handle well the MikTeX on-the-fly updates in
Windows 10:

10:56:36.699: downloading
> http://ctan.math.ca/tex-archive/systems/win32/miktex/tm/packages/dvips.tar.lzma.
> ..
> 10:56:36.701: 32074 bytes, 17.82 KB/Sec
> 10:56:36.703: extracting files from dvips.tar.lzma...
> 10:56:36.704:
> 10:56:37.241: The process crashed some time after starting successfully.

LyX proceeded, but later failed in the 'pdflatex' command with an error.

When I loaded the MikTeX package manager manually, it appeared that
dvips.tar.lzma was correctly installed (perhaps the process continued to
run even though LyX reported it had crashed). Doing a View (Ctrl-R) again
in LyX worked, so the dvips was there the second time. LyX did not try to
install it.

This may not be so much a LyX problem in Windows 10 as it is a MikTeX
updater problem in Windows 10. MikTeX is known for not always clearly
giving you errors properly. One of my favorites is this one:
http://tex.stackexchange.com/a/254393/17868 (the error is about too many
connections from your IP address, but the server is intentionally down).

One suggestion might be to have an option for LyX to stop processing (fatal
error) when packages don't install properly, with a recommendation of the
user to install manually.

Another question: is it mandatory in LyX to run "reconfigure" after
updating MikTeX? Updates sometimes cause obsolete packages to be removed
and replaced. Could LyX detect this and suggest running "reconfigure"?