On 2017-01-20, Neal Becker wrote:
> Guenter Milde wrote:

>> Leaving both "font encoding" and "Serif font" at "Default" leads to
>> suboptimal fonts beeing used (fontenc becomes T1 and the default Computer
>> Modern fonts are substituted by bitmap EC (or, if installed CM-Super).

> What settings do you recommend?

Sorry, I missed the IEEEtran documentclass setting. In this case, the class
file selects a Times font and your settings are correct.
I don't know whether the font selection is done before or after this, though
(look into IEEEtran.cls to find out if you are curious).

Generally, I recommend Latin Modern instead of Computer Modern if you want
the "classic TeX fonts" and optical sizes (good looking fonts at small
scales for indices, fractions, etc.) and newtxmath to go with Times,
Palatino or Libertine. I also like Fourier.

>> Why do you compile with LuaTeX when using 8-bit fonts? (This is not
>> necessarily evil but I am curious.)

> Just because LuaTeX is the latest thing - don't actually need any of it's
> features.

It may help, if you need many math alphabets. Otherwise, luatex takes longer
to run and there are still packages out there that just test for the TeX
engine and with Xe/LuaTeX assume both inputencoding and fontencoding to be
utf8.  -> beware of strange errors, in case something goes wrong try with
pdflatex (of course this does not solve every error).

>> May be, you can try by leaving the GUI math-package setting at default and
>> inserting \usepackage{newtxmath} in the user preamble. Please report
>> differences, if found.

> I haven't really seen any differences but maybe I don't know what to look
> for.

So keep it the way you are more comfortable with (or closer to the template
documentation), it will not matter much.

OTOH, it might be an idea to change the LyX font GUI to insert newtxmath
after the fontenc call.

Günter