Chris,
I'm using Windows and LyX 2.0.5.1.  Since I've been unable to make LyX
2.2.2.2 work (more about that later), and since all I needed to do to
complete my document was add three references, I tried to make 2.0.5.1 do
that for me.

However, since I first wrote the situation has changed somewhat.  (I
suppose that's due to the messing around I've been doing.)

I do indeed have a BibTeX Generated Bibliography box at the end of my
document.   And when I click on it the window that opens contains a link to
the .bib file I created with Mendeley.  This sounds promising, but now when
I try to insert a reference into the document (by choosing Citation) the
box that pops up is empty.

And now, unlike earlier today, I'm no longer able to create a pdf using any
of the pdf options under File→Export.  (Some of those pdf commands now
produce error messages, and the ones that don't do nothing.  Previously
LuaTeX produced pdfs.)  So I'm still stuck.

Thanks for responding.  Nice eagle.
Bill