On 01/26/2017 03:18 AM, Steve Litt wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 16:41:33 +0200

On 2017-01-24 14:27, Michael Berger wrote:
Dear all,

if you should plan to purchase software from Hamrick Software USA
(www.hamrick.com), please, be warned not to be trapped by this
Company's fraudulent statements and business practices.

My story.

When looking for software to be used with HP Scanjet G4050 (not
fully supported by XSANE) I came across the 'VueScan' software from
Hamrick.

The documentation and technical specification guaranteed exactly was
I was looking for: a software using TMAs (Transparent Media
Adapters) for scanning of color slides, color negatives etc. under
Linux with my scanner. See screenshot attached.

Fully convinced by what was stated I purchased the license to use
'VueScan Professional'' and made a credit card payment for US$
89.95.

However, I could use VueScan for ordinary flat bed scanning only,
*nothing* else.

Upon my complaint Ed Hamrick wrote: 'Unfortunately, VueScan only
works with the transparency adapter on this scanner on Windows and
Mac OS X (but not Linux)'.

No sorry, no regrets, no money return, no compensation !

When I asked him if that was all he could say, I got the following
answer: '...please, make a bunch of postings mentioning VueScan. All
publicity is good publicity' :-) Regards, Ed Hamrick

I all my life I have never seen such insensitivity and coolness
before.  What a highly educated and shifty business attitude!

Cheers,
Michael

Dr Eberhard Lisse <nos...@lisse.na> wrote:

Besides the fact that I fail to see what this has to do with LyX, I
have been using that particular package for many years (predominantly
on the Mac but also on Windows (and even on Linux)) and am not only as
happy with it as Prof Knuth, but also found them to be extremely
responsive to constructive criticism.
Nothing in the preceding paragraph in any way refutes the OP's claim.
It's simply an anecdote proving that the OP's experience isn't
universal.

They offer a free version for download which is identical but prints
watermarks, so one wonders if one should not have tested this before,
never mind a charge back.
Was a "sold as is, no refunds" policy *prominently* displayed on all
text and advertising material? If not, their response is sleazy.

I keep going back to the snotty attitude, of the vendor, described by
the OP. Unless somebody proves that the OP is lying or seriously
altering the truth, I'm not going to buy from Vuescan, and I thank the
OP for warning me.
SteveT

Steve Litt
January 2017 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust

Hi Steve,
thanks very much for your comment. You understood my intent and as well interpreted my e-mail absolute correctly. And NO!, there is/was no "sold as is, no refunds policy...." or anything similar.

And yet, there seem to be people showing more sympathy (and perhaps even admiration) with
Ed Hamrick and his business behavior than with my rather "antiquated stupidity".

Best,
Michael