On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 4:12 PM Steve Burnham <dan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 3:48 PM Steve Burnham <dan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 2:38 PM Steve Burnham <dan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Forum,
>
> I am putting together my dissertation and having a problem with footnote
> formatting. I have enclosed a minimal example with the necessary style and
> class douments. You'll notice when a PDF is generated the text of the first
> footnote, which is attached to the chapter heading, does not appear as
> expected. The second footnote is generated as expected.
>
> -Steve
>

> I've made some amount of progress on the question but still searching for
> a final solution. I realized the footnote was appearing on the table of
> contents page. Following guidance here:
> https://wiki.lyx.org/LaTeX/FootnotesInSectionHeadings
>
> I added a short title. This removed the footnote from the table of
> contents but it still does not show up on the page that it's supposed to. I
> have included a dropbox link with a minimal working example. The users list
> seems to reject any files I attach.
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/s56zx9ty4svnbor/footnote_example.zip?dl=0
>
> -Steve

I've found a very sloppy solution to my footnote problem. I can delete the
chapter heading and use ERT like this to separate the footnote marker and
the footnote text:

\chapter[INTRODUCTION]{INTRODUCTION\protect\footnotemark}\footnotetext{this
is my footnote}

I'd like to come up with a more elegant solution though. The problem with
this ERT is that all of the subsections for each chapter are numbered wrong
in LyX as they number according to the last Chapter that was declared
without ERT. It all corrects itself at the time of compilation though. I've
tried just sticking an ERT box next to the chapter title with:

 \footnotemark\footnotetext{this is my footnote}

but that causes the footnote to again not appear at the bottom of the page.
When I export a .tex file it seems the problems is the placement of braces.

\chapter[INTRODUCTION]{INTRODUCTION\protect\footnotemark\footnotetext{this
is my footnote}}

The \footnotetext command should be outside of the braces for the chapter
title and \footnotemark command.