On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 09:21:27 +0800 (CST)
subaochen  <subaoc...@126.com> wrote:

> It seems that Lyx only run upon one cpu or one thread, compiling a
> large document(more than 300 pages) may take more than 1 minute on my
> machine(8G ram and AMD 8130). Is it possible to enable multiple
> thread with lyx? Thanks in advance!

Hi subaochen,

It might amuse you to know that in 1990, my 286, 10Mhz computer with 1MB
RAM took 45 minutes to load my WordPerfect 5.0 authored book
"Troubleshooting: Tools, Tips and Techniques", a 140 page book.

So I spent $4200.00 on a new 25Mhz 486 with 16MB RAM, and was stoked to
notice that it now took 45 seconds to load my book :-)

Now about your situation...

1 minute compilation of a 300 page book is about par for the course.
That's about what it takes me to compile my 309 page "Troubleshooting
Techniques of the Successful Technologist". If I doubled my processor
speed, I might get it down to 30 seconds. But meanwhile, my computer
would run hotter and use more energy, and I'd have more processor speed
control hassles.

I'd suggest you change your workflow so you don't need to compile to
PDF nearly as long, and so you can keep working while compiling. Why
not compile from a shellscript instead of from LyX? That way you can
continue working in LyX while your doc is being compiled.

Also, try to think of ways you could operate for longer without
recompiling to PDF. I'm assuming you're compiling to PDF in order to
proofread: If there's another reason, please let us know.

And finally, congratulations on writing a >300 page document. Very few
people have actually done that.

SteveT

Steve Litt
March 2017 featured book: Troubleshooting: Why Bother?
http://www.troubleshooters.com/twb