On 04/05/2017 02:41 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
On Wed, 5 Apr 2017, Paul A. Rubin wrote:

The .lyx file is text, so you could use something like sed, or open it in
a text editor and do a global S&R.

Paul,

Duh! Of course. Having switched from LaTeX in emacs to LyX I first think
to use the GUI rather than emacs. Of course, I do most writing and data
munging in emacs so I have no excuse.

FWIW, I typically uses relative paths to figures. On something I'm working
on now, there's an "images" subfolder in its home folder, and so figures
refer to "images/<filename>". As long as I keep the images folder together
with the document in a move, I shouldn't need to update anything.

  I, too, put figures in an images/ subdirectory, but sometimes there are
more than one of those when the document integrates multiple subjects (e.g.,
spatial, biological, chemical, and statistical).

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. :-)

Regards,

Rich
No worries. Generally speaking, when I'm editing something "native" to a particular program, whether it's a document in a document editor or source code in an IDE, I tend to assume that I should everything with that program. So I sympathize with the "lock-in".

Regarding your last point, which I take to mean that not all images "belong" to a single document, another useful (for me) technique is to put symlinks in the document-specific local images directory to the images that reside elsewhere. When I move the folder containing the doc and images (or just move the doc and images folder), the connections to the stationary images remain intact.

Paul