On 04/08/2017 07:33 AM, Ward Romp wrote:
Dear all,

I try to install LyX on windows 7 on top of a fresh (and fully updated) MikTeX 2.9 (32 bit). The installer updates some MikTeX files, and then claims to be finished (successfully). If I remember correctly, then previously LyX ran a full set of tests, which took >10 seconds.

When I try to start LyX after installation, it complains that Lyx will only have minimal functionality because no textclasses have been found.... ". It offers three options: reconfigure, "without latex" or continue. All three fail. LyX starts, but layout files cannot be found. The userprofile directory merely contains "cache" and "session".

It seems that something (python script??) crashes during the installation and reconfiguration. Is there a log file or can I run the reconfigure script from command line to see where it goes wrong?

Regards,

Ward Romp

Start LyX (don't worry about limited functionality), click Help > About LyX, and note down the directories specified as "Library directory" and "User directory". After that, you can exit LyX.

In the user directory, you should find a file named configure.log, which is the log written by the configuration script. If that doesn't provide enough help, and assuming you have a working Python installed (I think the Windows installer provides one), you can run the configuration script at the command line by executing "python <library directory>\configure.py".

Paul