I have found that the newer lyx versions open files created in an older lyx version, but not visa versa.

On 04/08/2017 08:53 AM, José Abílio Matos wrote:
On Saturday, 8 April 2017 00.14.33 WEST Charlie wrote:
More numbers.

I attempted several encodings with the text editor but no joy. The
numbers changed a little bit but not a great deal.

Just a question here. One of the reasons use LyX is because I thought
any LyX file could be opened in a text editor and the contents rescued?
Now I wonder? I assume that I will lose some file and their content
anyway?
The output that you show looks like Postscript and not lyx in any reasonable
way.

It doesn't matter if no one can help me with the problem. However, I
would like to know if I will lose old LyX files, be unable to open them
as time goes on and LyX evolves?
LyX uses an auxiliary program called lyx2lyx to convert the old formats and
until the moment we have a very good record. If there are any bugs we fix them
as soon as possible. I am not aware of any file where we have failed the
conversion.
TIA

Stay well,
Charlie