Den 20. april 2017 12:10, skrev Wolfgang Engelmann:

Am 20.04.2017 um 11:56 schrieb Helge Hafting:
Most linux sw lets me mark text with the mouse, and then click the middle mouse button in some other window in order to paste it there. No wading through "cut/paste menus", this is one of the strengths of the X windowing system.

I have no problem pasting terminal text into LyX (or using special paste to deal with line endings). But how do I go the other way? Sometimes, I want to mark a paragraph or two in LyX, and paste it into vim or something else running in an xterm. But that doesn't work, nothing happens. If I have copy-pasted text within that terminal before, the old text is pasted instead of what I marked in LyX.

Doesn't LyX put marked text on the clipboard?

I understand that there will be limitations - LyX supports formatting and the terminal only handles text. Still, I have no problem pasting from openoffice into xterm, vim or gvim.

Currently, the only way I can copy text out of LyX 2.2.2 is by exporting an ascii file, or opening the .lyx file in a text editor. Which is cumbersome for extracting a paragraph from a much longer document.

Is this a bug? Or do I need to change some setup to get this functionality?

Helge Hafting
Mark the text to be copied, ctr c, paste with ctr v should work
Wolfgang
Well, this works for (g)vim and firefox, because they bind "paste" to "ctrl v". Thanks. Emacs can also paste using a different paste key.

It does not work if I want to paste something into the terminal itself though.

One case is when I want to test a command that I am writing about in LyX - I sometimes teach shell scripting. So I want to mark a long complicated command and paste it into an xterm to ensure there are no typos or other snags.

Another case is when I mark some paragraphs and paste it into a terminal that is running this:
cat > quicknotes
I can paste stuff from everything else: other terminals, firefox, openoffice. But not from LyX :-( Of course I can use "vim quicknotes" instead, but why should I have to?

Finally, using the mouse alone for mark+paste is much easier than
* mouse mark
* ctrl+c
* move mouse to other window
* ctrl+v (or whatever that app uses for a paste key)

Fewer transitions between mouse and keyboard is a good thing. Some extremists don't use the mouse at all, and do everything from the keyboard. I am not there, but grabbing the mouse _once_ is so much quicker than grabbing it twice and also using the keyboard twice. (And then it don't work for xterm either.)

Helge Hafting