On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 11:56:54 +0200
Helge Hafting <helge.haft...@ntnu.no> wrote:

> Most linux sw lets me mark text with the mouse, and then click the
> middle mouse button in some other window in order to paste it there.
> No wading through "cut/paste menus", this is one of the strengths of
> the X windowing system.
>
> I have no problem pasting terminal text into LyX (or using special
> paste to deal with line endings). But how do I go the other way?
> Sometimes, I want to mark a paragraph or two in LyX, and paste it
> into vim or something else running in an xterm. But that doesn't
> work, nothing happens. If I have copy-pasted text within that
> terminal before, the old text is pasted instead of what I marked in
> LyX.
>
> Doesn't LyX put marked text on the clipboard?

Ugh!

I switched from Windows to Linux in March 2001. In almost every
respect, I greatly prefer Linux.

And then there's cut and paste.

Windows has one single clipboard buffer. No matter how you copy to it,
and no matter how you paste from it, it works every time.

Linux has (at least) two separate clipboard buffers. Sometimes one or
the other or both acquires text when you highlight. Sometimes one or
the other acquires when you highlight and Ctrl+C. Sometimes you have to
highlight and menu Edit->Copy: Sometimes Edit->Copy does different
things than Ctrl+C.

On the pasting end, you can middlebutton, press Ctrl+V, or
Edit->Paste, each of which might draw from a different buffer to
paste.

I've tended to find that the most reliable way to do what I really
want to do, in most situations, is highlight and use Ctrl+C on the
copy end, and use the middle mouse button on the paste end. If that
doesn't work, use Edit->Paste.

For me, Linux's dual-you-guess-which cut and paste has been a
productivity sink for as long as I've used Linux. I've found various
muscle-memory actions to minimize the problem, but it's still there.

I'd like to hear about anybody who has been able to use a clipboard
application to lessen these problems, but the clipboard application
should be:

1) Window manager/Desktop environment agnostic

2) Quick and easy to see history of both clipboards and paste any of
   them into a document

3) Extra credit for a clipboard application that strongarms both
   clipboards to anything captured with Ctrl+C or Edit->copy or
   Edit->Cut

SteveT

Steve Litt
April 2017 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist