On 25/04/17, Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:

> I am frequently reminded by the Debian system to install texlive,
> which is, however, of 2014, whereas I am using the one of 2016.If I
> click the various texlive packages away (a bit cumbersome, around 14
> or so packages) I am told that it is needed for removing a
> security risk.What should I do? I would rather like to stick to the
> 2015 version. Does this version give me the security? Or should I
> install the 2016 version? Or wait for the 2017 version?
I have used texlive with debian for several years and do not share the
same experience.  At the moment I have jessie installed and I am using 2
more virtual installations for testing purposes.  The same is true for
these installations.
     I believe the problem arises with another debian program which uses
latex.  I only install debian packages which do not requires latex
support.  For example if you install kde-full, it will install its own
version of texlive to meet its dependencies.
     A bash-script, using apt-get, to install the packages you actually
use is most helpful for easing this process.  I initially created one
from bash's history using grep and have refined it over time to select
some of debian's own packages and where appropriate obtain from other
sources.  The reason for one of virtual machines is to try the new 2.3.x
series of lyx with the 2017 texlive.
     Hope this is of some help.
> Thanks for help.
> Wolfgang