On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 8:44 AM, David Pesetsky <pese...@mit.edu> wrote:

> 1. Open a Lyx file in the editor window.
> 2. Change any setting, for example, Screen Font (but it can be anything,
> on any submenu
> 3. Click "Apply"
> 4. A white box appears and the program freezes.
> 5. Also: if you click on the editor window while the program is in its
> frozen state, that window turns black.

Thanks for the detailed steps.  Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce with LyX
2.2.3 on OS X 10.12.5.  However, there is some differing behavior I
experience which might explain why you see different things.

When I do NOT have a document open, I can tweak a preference, Apply, Save,
and all is well. This is also the behavior I'd expect relative to my next
point.

When I do have a document open, I can tweak a preference, Apply, *the
dialog window goes to the background*, I retrieve the dialog, Save, and all
is well.

I wonder if someone can track down why the dialog focus changes depending
on whether a document is open or not.